Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Power of Protein

Diet Cokes: None, with difficulty
Exercise: Not yet -- hoping to rock out to MTV Pilates tonight
Ice cream: I wish.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So after my half hour workout yesterday morning I was hungrier than usual. I plowed through my Barbara's Shredded Spoonfuls or whatever they are and restrained myself from eating any of Keira's mangoes and pears. I got in the car and it being a day ending in, well, "day", there was considerable traffic on the Toll Road, so I got ready for the long haul and dug in to my giant workbag for my lunch.

Diapers? Check. Old receipts? Check. Lunch? Dagger! No lunch! Apparently I left my lunch on the counter in my mad rush to get in the car.

So after spending an hour chillin with everyone else in the free world on their way to Tysons I was starving. I decided to stop at the charming 1600 Cafe. I looked past the lovely rows of fatty glorious muffins, syrupy French toast and mini cereal boxes and became very sad. In the end I went with a western omelette -- 2 eggs, ham, onions and green peppers, no cheese. It came with whole wheat toast, too.

Well, I am now a believer in the power of the edible, incredible egg. I scarfed that thing down at 8:30 and let me tell you, I didn't even REACH for a cookie, let alone anything else, until well past 2pm. Now, I don't condone long intervals between food like that -- I'm a strong believer in the grazing method of eating -- but I wasn't even hungry! That is UNHEARD of.

Maybe NY is onto something. I ate eggs again this morning. I still ate my lunch by 9, but I managed to make it until 1:30 before being desperate for something again. And then I went out and got some hummus and it's 3:30 and I'm still full. Who knew? Protein packs a punch!

1 comment:

  1. Woo hoo!! I love the title of today's blog. Protein and fiber are where it's at my lovely cousin friend. That with a mix of veggies and complex carbs and you are set. (That being said, I totally went to BK for breakfast this a.m. but what do you expect me to eat when I have to drive from RIC to NOVA? I eat what's available.)

    ReplyDelete